Saturday 26 January 2013

T.I.M. B135 onward...

26th January 2013
Today I decided to give the lower casing its first coat of primer but before I did I took two photos so that I couldpost before and after shots. There is still some black paint remaining but I couldn't find a paint stripper and thought that I couldn't justify the cost for what remained so sanded it off a little more with 140 grit and then a light sand all over with the 140 to give a key.



I must admit that adding the first coat of primer is indeed progress, as I usually get discouraged, put it back together and then it ends up in a box in the garage somewhere never to see the light of day. But, onward... it's been a bit of fun and I've learnt a bit about these beasts!



So, for now, there you have it - and yes, there is masking tape over the RETURNS window. I was going to mask the rivets but have decided to paint them using  Humbrol Metallic Enamel... more to follow as I progress.

27th January 2013
Well, after a few coats of lovely black paint, the lower compartment of the T.I.M. is looking fabulous. The info on the paint tin says to wait 7 days for it to dry (cure/harden) so... I will wait! But it does look great!



So, we now have 7 days to wait for the paint to really cure. 

Unfortunately for my wallet, we went to the Flea Market at the Bath and West Showgrounds this morning... I returned with two Setright machines and I would have left them there except one was ex Bristol Omnibus Co. Ltd... the other is plain and the imprint is "Duchy Travel". So I have at least one to research. The Bristol variant is pre-decimal that has been converted to decimal (can't select anything over 9 1/2p on the penny scale) and the Duchy is decimal.



I'll have a separate blog up for these two machines in due course. I'm not sure who thought of it, and how many got on by themselves, but there was an option on the Bristol Setright for a Dog... :o) It seems I am now addicted!

I had a thought, and that was to remain on topic with the T.I.M. machine... so, here is the new look ticket using fresh ink and fresh rolls.


Note that the T.I.M. ticket is 90mm x 37.5mm, the Setright Bristol ticket is 58mm x 25mm and the Duchy ticket is 59mm x 25mm. The Bristol ticket rolls were pre-printed with company info and an advert on the reverse promoting "Send your parcels by country bus".

28th January 2013
Here are two shots for the uninitiated of the internals of the TIM machine B.135. On the second shot, I've reversed the image of part of the print drum and inserted it lower left. Complex little machines!
On the Bristol Setright, I've removed the added Bristol Bus security strips (they didn't trust anyone by the looks) and had a cursory glance inside. Quite different to the TIM. But I will post photo's on a new bit. So, here are the TIM internals.




5 comments:

  1. Looking good so far. Have you managed to clean up the top half of the machine as well? Don't think it needs a repaint though - that would be too difficult.

    If you are repainting the setrights, hope you manage to get hold of the correct crinkly paint that is used. I painted one of mine with plain matt black hammerite and it just doesn't look right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some VHT High Temperature Wrinkle Plus from Burton, have sprayed a test piece to see how it looks and I'm happy with it. Although the wrinkling is a tad tighter than original it does look the part, and has a nice satin feel to it. It's a nice finish, and might use it on other projects.

      Delete
  2. I've not started on the top half yet, and am looking at it with trepidation... and I have to strip down one of the Setrights anyway as I did something stupid and now have two nuts rattling around inside the casing (as well as the nut on the outside!) 'nuff said :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have not tried to unscrew your setrights at the handle end. Do that and it will self destruct into a kit of parts. Some good tips for setrights to be found on the ticket machine website that you already know about.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the warning, I will go look and make sure I do not end up with a kit of parts :o)

      Delete